Free Assessment

Student Visa

Canada Student Visa:

In order to study in Canada as an international student you will need to apply for a ‘study permit’. This allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited time, generally at a specific Canadian educational institution and in a specific program.

Canada student visa is a combination of either a visitor visa and a study permit or an eTA and a study permit. The Canada study visa will only allow you to start your studies in Canada.

Canada Study Permit Exceptions:

Most international students will require a Study Permit to study in Canada, however, there are some exceptions.

A Study Permit is not required in the following circumstances:

  • For a course or program with a duration of six months or less.
  • For a minor child already in Canada, whose parents have legal status in Canada, other than Visitor Status.
  • For the family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.


Canada Student Visa Eligibility:

To qualify for a Canadian study permit, you need to:

  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution
  • Show proof of funds to cover your tuition fees, living costs, return travel
  • Have no criminal record
  • Be in good health (you might need to complete a medical exam)
  • Prove that you will be leaving Canada after your studies

You must have received an acceptance letter from the designated institution before you submit your application for a Canadian student visa.

Working in Canada as an International Student:

Students are required to arrive in Canada with sufficient money to live and pay their bills while studying. However, in some cases, a student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study:

  • On-campus work if they are enrolled in a full-time program;
  • Complete co-ops or internships if they are required from their program curriculum;
  • Off-campus work if your study permit allows it and you work less than 20 hours per week;
  • In a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program for up to three years, related to the field of study, with a Work Permit.

Bringing Your Family to Canada:

Your close family, so spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children can accompany you to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner can work anywhere in Canada with an Open Work Permit during your studies.

Permanent Resident Eligibility:

International students who have completed their studies and have gained a certain amount of work experience within Canada (via the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program – PGWPP), students may have more options to apply for Canadian permanent residency under:

  • Canadian Experience Class;
  • Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP);
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP);
  • Provincial Nominee Program;
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot.