Free Assessment

Family Class Sponsorship Program

Family Class Sponsorship

Many Canadian citizens and permanent residents have loved ones living abroad that they wish they could join them in Canada. The Canadian government is committed to keeping families together whenever possible and offers a number of ways to allow this dream to become a reality under its Family Class Sponsorship class.

Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship programs are the most generous family reunification programs in the developed world.

Family Members Eligible for Sponsorship

To be eligible, the person seeking sponsorship must be a:

  • Spouse, Common-law partner or Conjugal partner or fiancé
  • Spouse’s or common-law partner’s dependent child
  • Dependent child, Grandchild who is still a dependent
  • Mother or father, Grandmother or grandfather
  • Sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild under 18 years who is unmarried and whose parents are deceased

Who is a Spouse/Partner?

Individuals under these categories are eligible for sponsorship:

  • Spouse: legally valid marriage in country of origin and under Canadian law
  • Common-law partner: At least 1 year of uninterrupted cohabitation in a conjugal relationship
  • Conjugal partner: Conjugal relationship for at least 12 months where couple is prevented from living together due to immigration barriers, religious reasons, sexual orientation or marital status
  • Same-sex relationships: considered valid for immigration purposes under these categories

Who is a Dependent Child?

A child of the sponsor, or a child of the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner, can be considered a dependent child if they are under age 22 and don’t have a spouse or common-law partner of their own. Children over age 22 can be dependents if they relied on their parents for financial support before age 22, and are unable to financially support themselves due to a mental or physical condition.

Sponsorship Eligibility

In order to sponsor, you must…

  • be 18 years of age or older,
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
  • live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live exclusively in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
  • sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner’s basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children

You may NOT sponsor if you…

  • signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or common-law partner and three years have not elapsed since he or she became a permanent resident and,
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
  • are in default of an undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments.
  • are an undercharged bankrupt,
  • were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago
  • are under a removal order,
  • are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,
  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or common-law partner and a decision on your application has not yet been made.

How We Can Help

  • Determining your and your family members eligibility as per Canada Immigration Law.
  • Help you filling the correct documentation, application errors can even lead to refusals.
  • We will represent your case before Immigration Canada in order to obtain the Permanent Residence visa for your loved one.