Free Assessment


March 18, 2024

Alberta and Manitoba begin issuing Provincial Attestation Letters

Alberta and Manitoba have begun issuing Provincial Attestation Letters (PALs) to international students who have been accepted to schools in their provinces.

Both provinces have begun issuing PALs through Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in their jurisdictions. DLIs are the only schools in Canada that are approved to accept international students.

Details are not currently available regarding the number of PALs allocated to either province or how they will be distributed.

Discover your options to study in Canada

How can I get a PAL in Alberta?

According to IRCC, as of March 1st, Alberta has begun issuing PALs though not much is currently known about the system.

According to the provincial government’s website, post-secondary institutions (DLIs) will request PALs on behalf of international students who have been accepted to their institutions. The government also urges students to contact the registrar of their respective schools for more information or any questions that may emerge.

To be able to request a PAL through a DLI, international students may have to show their specific DLI a further commitment to study with them. For example, a further look at specific DLI pages in the province (like the University of Alberta, or the University of Calgary pages) indicates that students will have to pay a deposit in addition to accepting their offer of admission to qualify to have their DLI request a PAL from the Albertan government.

Most Albertan universities will send an email to the address that a student used on their application to let them know that their PAL is available to download for their final study permit application.

How can I get a PAL in Manitoba?

According to IRCC’s official webpage, the Manitoban provincial government has begun issuing PALs to international students as of March 4th, 2024.

Like Alberta’s system, PALs in Manitoba will be delivered through DLIs across the province. International students seeking a PAL from the Manitoban provincial government may also need to pay a deposit to their chosen DLI before the school can apply for a PAL on their behalf.

For example, the official page of the University of Manitoba indicates that the university will require a non-refundable tuition deposit of “$2,000 CAD paid by credit card” before applying for a PAL on the student’s behalf. This deposit must be paid within 10 business days from the time a decision has been made on a student’s application.

Other DLIs in the province may have different requirements when requesting PALs on a student’s behalf. It is advisable for new international students to check these requirements thoroughly with their chosen school’s registrar at the time of applying.

Visit our dedicated webpage here, to find out more about getting a PAL, who will require one, and other key information on obtaining a study permit.

Discover your options to study in Canada